A Month of CrossFit - Day 1

by

Let's talk CrossFit. 

Via Reebok CrossFit
You hear about CrossFit one of two ways: from a dedicated devotee, or from someone who knows someone (who knows someone) who's heard of/or done CrossFit themselves. 

I made the decision to actually give this whole CrossFit thing a try last week. I've heard about it, talked about it with friends who have done it, watched CrossFit videos on YouTube, read the blogs on Pinterest... I know what's up, but I just hadn't taken the plunge. 

But here's the deal: I've reached a point (an age?) where the usual stuff I was doing just wasn't working anymore. It actually seems as though my body has kind of been slowing down. There are more trouble spots than non-trouble spots, and the gyro I ate for lunch settles in and adds to my waistline instead of shedding itself away. 

The breaking point came when I was considering signing up for an Advocare 24-day challenge (a 24-day cleanse/replenish challenge that was going to cost me $190 buckaroos). I started thinking that if I was going to shell out that amount of money for Advocare, I could pay the monthly fee for CrossFit, save some dinero and try a month of hardcore workouts instead of doing the cleanse. Not to diss Advocare - my boss swears by this stuff, and she is a marathon-running ball of positivity and inspiration in constant beast-mode - but I just can't get on board the protein/meal replacement shake train. Plus, I've wanted to try CrossFit for longer than I'm comfortable admitting, and it's time to get my rear in gear.

So, this morning I went to the Box to start a week-long trial, where a very matter-of-fact woman named Alisha led me through the WOD (workout of the day). This is what we did:

Warm Up:
15 kettlebell swings (you swing with your legs, not your arms - it's a booty-poppin' feeling)
20 ball throws 20 step-ups (10 each leg)
50m inchworm (walk your hands out to plank position, walk your feet up to meet your hands, repeat)
50m bearcrawls (walk like a bear - keep your butt down)
1 minute rows - no arms
1 minute rows - no legs

WOD: AMRAP in 8 minutes (As Many Reps As Possible) 
400m rows - arms and legs (did this in under 2 minutes, which was the bar Alisha set for me)
40 air squats
30 sit-ups
20 push-ups (chest all the way to the ground)
20 pull-ups (I did three)
Burpees until time expires (I hate burpees, and I didn't even make it to the suckers)
1 max deadlift rep (I did 108 lbs)

I made it through the rows, the air squats, the sit-ups and push-ups before time expired. With something like 20 seconds left, I went and started to do some pull-ups on the rings (because girlfriend isn't strong enough to get her chin above the bar, even with one of the biggest rubberbands I've ever seen), but only got three in before time ran out. I was bummed - the rings were actually working for me. 

I was getting ready to do the deadlift, when Alisha told us to take a break and get a drink of water. And that's when the nausea set in. 

I don't want to scare anyone off here, but I seriously felt like I was about to puke on their astroturf. I took a minute and went to the bathroom, praying the whole time that I wouldn't hurl, came back and maxed out my deadlift at 108 lbs. 

I bravely waved goodbye, said I would be back tomorrow, and made it home to flop on my couch. I did not hurl my guts up, but I certainly felt like it. 

Mistake 1: I woke up at 6:25 to be at a 7 a.m. class
Mistake 2: I ate/drank nothing but water before the class

Tomorrow: Wake up at 6 and eat breakfast beforehand. Whoo.